Hey friends! My name is Erica MacArthur, Healthy Lifestyle Blogger from curvyhealthygirl.com. I love learning and teaching fitness and nutrition, walking my dogs and spending time with my hubby and friends! Originally from Lowell, but now living in Chelmsford, I teach a few group exercise classes around town and also have a virtual nutritional coaching program. My mission with CHG is to empower women to love the bodies they’re in while striving for progress.
As a health and fitness coach I see a lot of people always struggling with information, “eat low fat” “eat low carb” blah blah blah LOL. BUT I just want to say to shake all that off, take a deep breath and do what works for your body. Everyone’s metabolism is different and it may take a little detective work to find your “fat loss formula” but you will do it with some consistency and dedication. I hope my 13 ways to keep the body & mind, happy & fit helps.
- Make weight lifting a priority!!! Use the appropriate weight, you want your muscles to burn after about 8-10 reps and progressively increase your weight as your get stronger. Challenge yourself. No you will not “bulk up”. TRUST ME. hehe. The only people that bulk up are the people doing steroids and women “lifting” too many chips, cookies and ice cream into their mouths.
- Get your heart rate up in intervals. You should be breathless. Body is responding by sweating.
- Mix things up. Try Body Pump, Zumba, CrossFit or Yoga/meditation. Keep the body guessing.
- Incorporate low intensity leisure exercise. Go for a nice long walk at least 3 times a week. Bring your dog, a friend and some coffee or tea.
- Sleep! Make sure to get 7-9 hours sleep and take rest days from working out. Let your body recover, this so important. When your body is stressed from not sleeping or overtraining you secrete a stress hormone called cortisol, cortisol in the presence of insulin stores fat. When you don’t sleep and overtrain you generally crave carbs and other sugary treats then your body produces insulin to clear your blood sugar and combined with high cortisol levels the body is a fat storing machine. No bueno! Get that R&R. I won’t get too much into hormones cause it can take up the whole blog, but if you are interested more in hormones and fat loss, my coaches are Metabolic Effect they have a great site where you can learn tons. 🙂
- Treat yo’ self get a massage!
- Foam roll – even though it hurts for beginners, it is so good for the muscles it’s the poor mans massage. Foam rolling increases blood flow to hips, butt and thighs that could possibly help fat burning.
- Don’t make excuses to NOT exercise, make it a priority, everyone has 1 minute to blast through some really fast jumping jacks or burpees! Do that 10 times a day and you have made a 10 minute workout in intervals. 🙂 Who cares if your co-workers think you’re nuts!
- Eat a ton of food! Yes, I said a ton. Lots of protein, veggies and clean carbs. Seriously starving oneself never did any good. If you want to lose precious muscle mass, increase your stress levels and be a grouch all the time then sure starve yourself. I LOVE to make big ass salads with chicken, beef, bacon or whatever I have in the fridge.
- Prep things in advance. Taking 2 hours on Sunday to grill chicken and cut up veggies is a life saver. You can just grab and go then not be faced with having to leave the office for food.
- Pack snacks. If you go to my blog I have listed my 19 favorite clean snacks to keep your blood sugar balanced and you smiling.
- Cheat! Yes, I said cheat! At least 2 times a week. haha! Have a burger with fries on Saturday night with friends and on Wednesday night a couple bites of ice-cream! Everything in moderation.
- Last but not least LOVE yourself for who you are. Treat yourself with kindness it makes you feel good. xoxoLike CHG on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/curvyhealthygirl
Tweet to me @curvyhealthygrl
Follow my Instagram #curvyhealthygirl @ericamacarthur